Look Up

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was in a spectacular place photographing seriously unusual landscapes that lent themselves to crouching low and looking up. I had such a blast…

Specific Feedback

It was pretty monochromatic rock, so the blue of the sky and the red in the top rock and sand seemed important. But not sure I got it right? Should I boost the whites of the rock?

Technical Details

ISO 200
24 mm
f/ 7.1
1/1250 sec
Sony A7RIII
Hand Held

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Connie,
that looks like an otherwordly landscape. It must be a lot of fun to explore this area with the camera. All these structures, cracks and patterns… a real playground for photographers.

I wasn’t there when the photo was taken. So unfortunately I can’t say what is “right”. But in my opinion, you could add some more contrast to the image.

I hope you don’t mind that I downloaded your picture. I couldn’t resist playing with these wonderful structures.

1. I cropped it to 4:5 because the blue sky does not add much to the image and the bush at the top left had distracted my attention somewhat.
  2. I added a lot of mid-tone contrast selectively to emphasize the textures
  3. I applied some dodge and burn

Alternatively, you could crop the image even further. A 1x1 crop makes a beautiful abstract image:

You have taken a great picture with a lot of potential. If my adjustments go too far for you, just ignore my comments. :slight_smile:
If you have further questions, let me know.

Wow, what fun ideas you’ve played with here Jens! I often talked images like this with the idea of playing around with crops later on, then forget to do so. Love you takes on this. Thank you for your time and inspirations. -Connie

You are welcome. That’s why we are here :slight_smile:
For people who have not personally experienced the scene photographed, it is sometimes easier to come up with creative ideas.
I am always amazed at the suggestions that are also made for my pictures.