Looking for advice with this one

So I do get a lot of these and I really wondered if something like this makes a good photo. I have mixed feelings on it so was looking for suggestions. Many times when a bee lands she rotates in different directions. In this case for example I have a few where she has turned some 20-40 degrees. Canon 90D 180 Macro iso 1000 F/9 1/1000. This was taken in landscape but cropped into a 4x5 aspect. The area out of focus is easy to remove, like I said I kind of like it but I would not put it as one of my better shots. What I do like is the focus on the bee’s head and how the out of focus pollen becomes focus as the bee breaks it apart.

1 Like

That is what you can call “in your face” type a shot, Dean. You really did get his face nice a sharp, and I love that you were able to capture his activity. We see them working hard, but don’t get to see with just our eye what they are doing, so this is really a nice experience. I am fine with this shot as you have it presented here. Maybe someone else might see something to improve it.

1 Like

Thanks Shirley, I always think of head shots with people which I have never done but I guess a bee has a head too LOL.

Dean: The good thing about doing head shots of critters is that they don’t talk back. I think this is excellent as is. Focus is where it should be and the OOF areas don’t distract. Top notch shot. >=))>

I like the perspective in this one Dean, and we don’t get to see that often. All the pollen particles on her head adds some interest too, as well as the deep blue of the flower. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Dean,

Looks good. The pose and vertical comp are ideal. If you decide to do macros with minimal cropping, use some fill flash with a large diffuser to get soft shadows. Concave diffusers work the best and the trick is to balance the flash with the exposure to avoid black BG’s. Overall, I think that this is a pleasing image and like this one as presented. Well done…Jim

Thanks @Bill_Fach, @Jim_Lockhart, and @Jim_Zablotny. This information was really helpful. I am still looking for that perfect lighting setup. There are so many out this and I have I think a concave one. It attaches to my flash and extends outward with a diffuser that covers the wide opening. I have considered a twin ring flash but never tried one. Attached is what I have been using mostly for using the macro at 1:1 with a extension tube for smaller insects. This kind of works, but I was looking for something that goes around the lens more to cover all sides.

IMG_1348

1 Like

Dean, thanks for sharing your lighting setup. I am very much interested in the attachment that you have fastened on the end of your lens. It looks just like what I need for my twin flash. It is a Venus KuangRen KX-800 twin flash, and I really do like it. It isn’t a ring flash, and if I use a diffuser on both flash heads together (or if I could find what you have here), it allows it to look more like one light, which is what our world has, the sun, so more natural looking. On this flash, I can adjust more or less light to each light, which is convenient times. The flash heads are on bendable arms that extend out pretty good past the lens if needed. Something that you might want to consider.

Dean, this is a good looking head shot. The fact that you caught her “eating” some pollen is special.

1 Like