Wintertime Hunter

I was photographing flowers and brought my 180 macro just in case and there were a few bees around that seem to like this flower

Specific Feedback Requested

Was thinking of a square crop but this shows the environment around the bee which I liked

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D 180 f/3.5 macro ISO 1000 1/500 f/9

Excellent details in the bee, Dean. I also like the flower. I am bothered a little with the oof petals in the bottom of the image, but obviously, when shooting you didn’t have any choice unless you shot straight down on the bee and the center of the flower, which, in my opinion, wouldn’t have been as good of the bee. Not sure what is the best option for cropping though. The bee and the rest of the flower is definitely worth saving. You might even try a vignette, and see what that does for you. It would darken the petals some that seem a bit bright to my taste, and cover that tiny piece of green coming into the BLC. Maybe someone else has a better idea. I am really enjoying the bee and the center and back of that beautiful flower.

1 Like

Dean, there’s a nice sense of intimacy in this view, with lots of detail in both the bee and the flower’s center. I like seeing the flower on all sides of the bee. A slight lifting of your camera, so that the oof petal tip in the lower left touches the edge might work, or a very modest crop to eliminate that bright green bit in the llc…

Dean: My thoughts echo Mark. I like the comp and the amount of flower you’re showing. Nicely done. >-))>