Looking Up

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the subject, and her pose. Part of me thinks to massage the fence a little, and I also thought about toning down or cloning the UR bright spot but I think the eye holding power of the subject wins over that other stuff so I just left it as it came.

Creative direction

To depict this little cutie in a moment in the morning sun.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic, and emotional?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/3200th, f 9.0, ISO 5000. cropped to 1766 x 1821

Description

This gal was perched briefly near a very active feeder relaxing for a bit from all of the competition? There were as many as 12 at a time at the feeder.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I really like the pose of this little lady, Dave. The fence doesn’t bother me, but I think I’d be inclined to crop this to a vertical in support of the pose of the hummingbird, thus eliminating the bright spot in the upper left. It looks as if the light was pretty harsh when you took this which is starting to affect the image quality by degrading detail in the highlights.

Great beak up pose Dave. Bright and sunny just like a hummer’s disposition. The fence is a bit busy, but it is what it is.

Hi Dave, this looks good to me except for some of the highlights being blown on the bird. A vertical crop as Dennis mentions would be worth trying also I think. A great pose with the bird looking up like that.