Lost in the Majesty

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

This is not a recent image but would love to see initial reactions (in terms of composition and technicalities) from the experts here.

Abbas, this has a strong “classic western scene” feeling, with the trail ride heading into the mountains. Doing this in black & white fits that feeling well. The scene is well composed with a good combination of human interest and mountain drama. I do think that you’ve overdone the dodging of the clearing and the riders, making it seem like there was a spot light on that area. I do agree with having that area be somewhat brighter that the surroundings.

1 Like

I love the depth of this image Abbas. Beautiful mountains and beautiful trees. As Mark has said, “this has a strong “classic western scene” feeling,” with the tiny group of riders.

1 Like

thank you for your kind words, Ed!

@Mark_Seaver thank your kinds words and feedback. I did dodge that portion of the image and may have overdone it.

Black and White is my favorite photography. I think this a great image !!! I think what you dodged is fine. I like the contrast with the foreground … very cool sky !!!

Love the title and classic Western feel of this image. Have no recommendations for improvement that haven’t already been mentioned.

The story this image tells is exciting. I am not bothered by the dodging, but that is probably because I tend to be a bit heavy-handed when using light to direct the viewer’s eye.