Lost walkway

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An abandoned boardwalk near Trout Lake. I liked the colour and reflection of the reeds in the afternoon sun and the contrast against the worn wood of the boardwalk. It enters into a marsh and ends abruptly . I’m thinking it might be useful when the area drys out .

Specific Feedback

I had to crop pretty tight to diminish extraneous light from above the tree line. I brightened up the greens and lightened the boardwalk to make it a little more pronounced.

Technical Details

A scouting day with my IPhone 14 Pro Max. I’m going back to this location with my DSLR soon!

Hey Duncan!
I like the feel of the image as I feel like I’m in the lake enjoying that scene! My eye is pulled off the frame by those stray grasses on the right and bottom. Sounds like you struggled with cropping it to your liking, so might not be fixable. The bottom right is quite bright, might consider bringing it down a tad. Nice one.

Something like this?

Hi Duncan,

Certainly not meaning to disagree with Matt, but I like the original version as presented, I like the messy environment because that is what I would expect to see. I like the tall grass in the FG and even the brighter light on the right.
The grasses on the right are pointing inward and the grasses on the left are pointing inward as well, they’re like pointers directing my attention to the middle of the scene.
This image to me is about the color, light, shadows, reflections, vertical lines and the boardwalk, which means that it’s about a lot more than the boardwalk in my view and that can be a good thing, it doesn’t always have to have a single focal point.

I like it, Duncan! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a wonderful jumble. The dappled light on the cattail/iris leaves is a quietly spectacular element of this image. The rickety floating dock goes into the scene, and you gave it room on the right to let the viewer wonder where? why?

For me, the top of scene has some strong vertical lines that attract the eye and pull me out of the scene. I tried cropping a bit off the top, and the dock becomes a stronger subject, I think. Also darkened the bright water on the right, resulting in more saturation. I like the leaves acting as a frame; they come into the scene and seem to pull my eye into the scene. Darkened the darker areas of the dock for a bit more contrast.

1 Like