Nowhere better (+1 alternate)

With the lower OOF leaves cropped and some extra contrast in the far middle -

Original -

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of the many boardwalks along the Ringle segment of the IAT. The day started cloudy, but then ah…the sun came out and did this. Made me sit down on a big rock and take it in for a while.

Specific Feedback

Interested in your thoughts on composition here. I have other, slightly different takes, but this one has the best light so I worked with it first. With the clouds breaking up, but still present, things changed from second to second. I’m trying to work some variation into my fall trail shots and thought this worked well, but still thinking about it.

Technical Details

Tripod

Lr for a wb adjustment and some work with masking to massage tonalities where I want them. Some texture & sharpening & nr. Only the calibration panel was used for color work. Punch in crop. Ps for some distraction removal and a slight Orton effect in the highlights.

I didnt recognize your avatar, but I looked at that and thought it looked like an upper midwest forest. Such a nice time of the year to take photos and the forest is so photogenic right now. I walk around and think ’ i want to photograph that, and i want to photograph that.’ Sometimes just nice to sit down on a rock and take it all in.

Kris, It looks like at my place. You have great light too as I see, The composition is just right in my opinion . Nice fall colors.

I think that this scene is very beautiful and for the most part the composition works. I like the light on the left and how that’s being balanced by the dark mass of the tree trunk on the right. I like the leaf covered path that leads through the image. I can almost hear the crunching of the leaves as someone walks down the trail. The only thing I’m unsure about are the OOF leaves in the lower right. I don’t mind that they’re there just that they’re OOF which I find slightly distracting. Still a very solid shot though!

Ooh, I wish I was walking down that path. It must be deep forest - it doesn’t look “sunny”!

Thanks @Cameron_Wilcox, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Tom_Nevesely & @Bonnie_Lampley - this trail is great for the sheer number of boardwalks and rock stairs. It’s in the next county south and I have a feeling I’ll be hitting it again, this was only my 2nd visit.

I tried a crop as per Tom’s suggestion, so see if that works better. I wanted kind of a window effect and it gets a bit lost with that gone, but maybe it’s better to be more straightforward.

The light was pretty soft, Ben & Bonnie, so it might not look sunlit, but it was compared to earlier when the light was bright, but flatter. I’ll put up another tomorrow so you can see what I mean. Wait, here’s a shot with more clouds of this same scene (and a shorter focal length) and just a down and dirty edit -

And it’s not as cloudy as it was an hour or two before so it’s all relative.

1 Like

I’m liking the repost, Kris and this other image too. Some how it feels more mysterious but I don’t know why.

Thanks @Tom_Nevesely - too many variations!! :rofl: But I’m glad they work for you. I guess the scene can be successful with a lot of changes and a wider aspect.

The cropped version really works for me. :+1: