Lost

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What response do you have when this is first viewed. Is it emotional or perhaps thought provoking.
How does it make you feel. What questions do you have.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This was taken on the Salar de Uyuni from a high vantage point on the Isla del Pescado. For me this was all about how small humankind is compared to the vastness of nature. We are so often surrounded by buildings, infrastructure or within a forest etc that we don’t get to see how large the world is, especially compared to the individual. I feel this best felt in a desert or at sea.

Technical Details

Canon 5D, 24-105@105mm, F8, 1/800s, ISO 400 EC 0.7. Not a lot done in post, a little contrast and slight crop.

Specific Feedback

More along the lines of an emotional response or what questions you feel it asked.

1 Like

My initial reaction? Hitchcock! This has such a cinematic feel - but I guess whoever took this was in a plane coming to the rescue (or was he going to kill him?). I’m not sure that such a central positioning of car and person is the best. I might place them more to the right as that is where he is facing…but then the car is facing the other way, which adds to the feeling of being lost. Anyway, the title certainly fits, and I love this.

@Mike_Friel Thank you for your considered feedback. Never thought of Hitchcock. This is a slight crop as I had a sliver of horizon and sky at the top in the original capture. I felt however that the image was better served without any frame of reference.

1 Like

Great image for the weekly challenge Mark. The immense flats make both car and wanderer look like ants. This is a fascinating picture story.