Lotus Glow II Edited

@Diane_Miller and @patrick6, I worked on the LC of this image. I tried cropping it, but it wrecked the composition. So I chose to darken that leaf in the corner — it’s not gone, but very subtle. In doing that, I remain happy about the composition! PS For some reason the new image posted at the bottom of the thread.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here is another lotus from my visit to Perry’s Water Gardens. I had such a great time that day, capturing these beautiful, graceful flowers with their equally graceful leaves.

Specific Feedback

I’ll value knowing your thoughts on this image. Have at it! :slight_smile:

Technical Details

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

2 Likes

Interesting and different – in a good way! The petals glow against the soft BG leaves. I like the crop but could wonder about just a little more on top. Not sure why but my eye goes to the edge of the larger leaf toward the LLC. I wonder about a very graduated burn to make that edge disappear into the darkness, fading out by maybe halfway to the center.

@Diane_Miller, thanks so much! Great recommendations. I’ll work on it. Cheers!

The way the lily glows is great. The tones overall work to set off the leaves of the lily from the lily pads. I agree with Diane about the LLC. But I think the bottom of the frame doesn’t add anything to the image or the design, so I would consider cropping to just a little below the one set of lily pads and keep a little bit of darkness down there to balance the lightness at the top. Very much like this image.

@patrick6 — Hello Patrick, Thanks for your feedback! I’m working with your and Diane’s suggestions. Will repost soon. Cheers!

You can edit your original post to add a new version above or below the original, depending on how you prefer to rank them – click the pencil icon in the LL corner and you can insert a new image wherever you put the cursor. Then add “+ RP” to the title, with the pencil icon there.

I was thinking of a gradient darkening for just the bottom edge rather than the whole leaf. But no time now to try to sort out what was the original and what was the RP, to show it. (The one at the bottom looks lighter.) It’s a lovely image in any case!

@Diane_Miller, thanks so much for your feedback! I’m slowly “getting up to speed” with the procedures here. :blush:

Not sure which is the original and which is the edited, but the composition is lovely. I have a hard time with such a forced reduction of blacks and vignetting. Understand that a more artistic presentation is what you’re going for, but I wonder if some combination of layers and masking to blend the effect might be a better approach. Certainly a lovely specimen.

@Kris_Smith , thanks! I’ll look at your ideas.