Inner Glow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

For me there’s not much better than water lilies in dappled light. I discovered a new place for water lilies and dragonflies fairly close to the house. The Lowe’s Water Gardens (not the big box store) is fast becoming one of my favorite places to shoot. The combination of sunlight that coaxes the blooms to open and light filtering through the trees was irresistible. >=))>

Specific Feedback

This was my first trip there and I wasn’t sure if they would allow tripods so I just boosted the ISO and hand held with the burst mode on. Oh what modern gear can do!

Technical Details

Sony A7rIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II, 2xTC @ 192mm
ISO 800, 1/800 @ f11

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Sweet shot, Bill. I like the composition here and the water lily is gorgeous. One tiny nit-your border goes through a relatively bright out of focus highlight circle in the lower left corner and I do find that half circle a bit distracting.

Gorgeous – both the flower and the light! Looks sharp enough to be a stack – detail is wonderful! And the BG is so nicely subdued. I might do a graduated burn in the LL corner to complete the darker framing.

Diane: The old single capture genes just won’t go away :wink:.

The detail, depth, and color is wonderful in this lily Bill. I like the nice dark BG to help the belle of the ball stand out. The lighting really accentuates the details and lines in the flower petals. Beautiful.