Love from Deep Space

Heart Nebula near Casseopeia in the night sky, 7500 light years away.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
4 hours imaged over 2 nights this weekend at Stub Stewart park, Oregon.
PP in Astropixel, Pixinsight, Capture one, Affinity Photo.
Mod D610, 420mm

Nice. Wish I had to patience to take and PP these kinds of images.

You have a good framing of the nebula and I like the soft glow of the larger stars in the bluish areas, but something in the processing steps is not playing well with the others. The transition on the left edge from bluish to red is especially noticeable, and the red nebulosity is very strange. I have a feeling the source files are good, but would be curious to see the result done entirely in PixInsight. It is meant to do all the processing with its various modules.

This is pretty, but just very far from realistic.

1 Like

Thanks Diane, appreciated, I am a complete rookie at Astro and pixinsight so my processing is a work in progress, it is challenging as you know.
Here is another version, the color is not abnormal for HA, they are all over Astrobin, just most are better and more detailed than mine.
The Mono ones of course are way different color (yellow and blue) so I am not sure what 'natural" even means in Astrophotography…
I am getting a real Astro camera and scope so I should improve a lot.

Much more realistic. The dark halos around the stars can be fixed by an adjustment of one of the steps in PI, but I don’t remember which one.

I think I’d define realistic according to the filters used – one look for using an HA filter, which just allows more of the red emission spectral lines through, and another set of looks for narrowband filter captures, in which each of the 3 filters can be assigned different colors. There are several standard palettes for that.