Lower Elakala Falls

Description:

This lovely waterfall is a bit of a scramble to access as you have get off the trail and climb over numerous downed trees and boulders. It was so worth the extra effort as I had never been to location before. My brother was telling me that there is a third waterfall further down the trail, but that will be saved for the next trip to Blackwater Falls SP, WV.

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 22mm, f 16 @ 4 sec, ISO 100, CPL, cable release & tripod

Specific Feedback Requested:

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite?
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Ed, the quantity & quality of the cascading water vails here really makes this one work. The image view provides a nice calming affect and I’m sure the audible it provides enhances that feeling even more so. I like how you got the placement of the stream exit in the LRHC. Whether by viewfinder placement or final crop, it works!.. :sunglasses::+1:

A lovely image, Ed. Getting something to produce the streamlines in the lower part of the river really tops this image off.

Ed, this looks great! Now I’ll have to get back and go scrambling… The nice S curve, the fallen leaves and the multitude of steps in the falls come together beautifully here.

A very nice waterfall scene, Ed! The long exposure works very well in this and I love how the leaves look like pieces of gold scattered everywhere.

Very nice Ed. I gotta get out to WV one of these days. Shutter speed looks nice, and the comp is great. At first I thought that the falls feel off-center (which may be because of its shape) but it is balanced nicely by the great S-curve leading in from the LRC. My only suggestions would be to burn the rocks in the LRC and LLC just a little.

Glad you guys @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Dennis_Plank, @Mark_Seaver, @Gary_Minish and @Craig_Moreau enjoyed the image. I took several images and this one worked the best with the foam exiting out of the frame.
@Craig_Moreau: WV has some nice photo locations if you ever decide to go. I will tone down the rock in the LLC just a little.