Lunar eclipse

The lunar eclipse of May 26 was going to be viewable from our deck, weather permitting, and I was eager to take advantage of the Canon R5’s electronic shutter (no vibrations). The moon was in the SW, 15 degrees high, and the view was looking toward the north edge of Santa Rosa, 5 miles away over some hills, but it was exceptionally clear (for here) and there was less light pollution than I was expecting. The shooting went smoothly and I was able to enjoy the visual experience as well.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, Canon EF 600 f/4 + 2X, f/8, 1/6 sec. Three exposures blended by hand: ISO 3200, 6400 and 12,800.

The moon was low enough that atmospheric turbulence would limit sharpness and that allowed me some leeway with a slightly slower shutter speed than I would have preferred, which allowed going to the longer focal length. Big RRS tripod, Wimberley II head, IS off, everything locked down, camera controlled by the Canon Connect remote on my iPhone, which let me change ISO without touching the camera. I had to re-center the moon every few minutes but that is easy with the Wimberley, where there is independent control of horizontal and vertical movement.

4 Likes

I bow with hats off to your expertise and dedication to this kind of thing. It’s been nothing but stormy and rainy here in Wisconsin, so no chance to see this in person. This might be better though.

Do you find that IS affects the sharpness? I’ve tested it many times on my camera(s) - both mirrorless and found zilch.

Thanks @_Kris! You wouldn’t have been able to see totality as the moon would have set or at least disappeared in the predawn light, for everyone approximately east of the Pacific time zone. On May15, 2022 there will be a good view of one in the eastern half of the country, and on November 8, 2022 one will be visible in the western part of the country.

IS (at least on the Canon EF lenses) degrades sharpness at very slow shutter speeds. It is designed to sense and counter movement / shake at hand-holding speeds and when I view an object at 1200 mm (or even 600) on a very steady tripod I can see the image on the back screen slowly “swimming” around. As I understand, it has something to do with the lens looking for something to stabilize. But the speed of this movement would only be a factor at very slow shutter speeds. Several years ago (5-10?) I read that newer lenses would turn off IS when they sensed they were on a tripod, but with the above observation (repeatable) I turn it off on a “locked down” tripod at below maybe 1/20 sec, but leave it on if I am holding the body so that I could be causing some shake. A lens that long, heavy though it is, rings like a bell with any touch. The tripod collar is a major culprit.

I don’t know how the in-body stabilization of the R5 and other bodies works in this situation, but it apparently isn’t causing a problem as with lens IS off, the image is steady within the limits of atmospheric turbulence.

1 Like

Awesome, Diane! I wasn’t able to see it, but now I am! :slight_smile: Very beautiful image!

Looks like Mars to me :grin:

Very well done Diane, as usual your technical skills saved the day. Living in the northeast, we missed out on this one. I did see this phenomena once before, and it is very impressive to see in person. But your image has brought back fond memories of that evening.

Beautiful shot, Diane, thanks for posting it.