Lunar Eclipse

I’m sure there are a few million lunar eclipse images from May 15. I did some detailed planning prior to the event and worked out focal lengths, and framing for an in camera multiple exposure. This is NOT a Photoshop composite. This was done completely in camera. 8 frames… 1 foreground exposure and 7 moon exposures taken over about a 70 minute period of time. The clouds didn’t fully cooperate (especially for the 3rd moon from the bottom), but I still managed to get basically what I had planned to do.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

OM Systems OM-1, 40-150 f/2.8 lens with 1.4x TC at various focal lengths.

4 Likes

Interesting, and good detail for totality, but I’m curious why you varied the focal lengths and the intervals?

I got clouded out. Maybe the next one…

I varied the focal lengths because I think using the same focal lengths makes the image boring.

Some of the intervals were dictated by the clouds. That wasn’t in my initial plan.

Very nice effect with the different focal lengths. I know you posted another similar eclipse image in the past. Can this be done with any camera or only your Olympus? Composition in this image is wonderful. Well processed.

Thank You David for your comment. In camera multiple exposures can be done on many cameras / systems. I used to shoot them on my old Canon 5D Mark III , then the Mark IV. I don’t the specifics of each system, but I’m guessing it would be listed under Multiple Exposures in the Index of the Owners manual if the camera has the function.

Keith,

Wow, very, very cool. Excellent work on both the planning and execution. I think great choices during your capture, including varying the focal length; I think quite effective.

I thought I would mention the color. I love that deep blue in the sky and of course the orange moon just contrasts beautifully with the colors.

Excellent!

Lon

Terrific planning leading to a very impressive final image Keith. This is well planned out and executed. I love the varied focal lengths going from large to small to large again. I agree with @Lon_Overacker about the blue tones you used in the overall image and I like the vignetting. I think the clouds add to the image and so do the barely perceptible stars. Your chosen foreground works well.

Beautiful result. Yes, many more images of the eclipse can be found, no doubt. But you made something outstanding. I love the FG and the low clouds around the first 2 moons. Very nice contrasting colors and an interesting idea to vary the focal length.

I’m very impressed that this was all done in camera! Really well done. :slight_smile:

Missed this the first time around and found it while checking out the new gallery. Very impressive work and cool image. The moon at the bottom has an other-worldly feel to it.