Lupine whispers

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

Photographed midday with a fair amount of wind - decided on ICM - to create an impressionistic wall art

Feedback Requested

Impressionistic enough?

Technical Details

Camera: NIKON Z 9
Lens: VR 24-70mm f/2.8E
Focal length: 62mm
Shutter speed: 1/10s
Aperture: f/16
ISO: 80

There are so many images here on NPN that are so inspirational for me and this is one of them. My first impression is a feeling of calm, serene and bit of playful ness with the sense of movement. I can’t see any processing or compositional changes that would improve this image. The composition, texture, colors, brightness and saturation all work well together. I could see this as a huge print hanging on an entry wall in a home, welcoming all who enter the space. Beautifully done!

Karl, this is, as @Keith_Flood says, very inviting. I like the sense of dancing and how the lupines are grouped in the middle. The color change from shade to sunlit in the grass adds extra interest and helps well with the sense of dancing.

Lovely, with fascinating shapes! I love the variations from blues to purples and greens to golds. Definitely a friendly greeting vibe.

Beautiful image, Karl. I really like the way you managed to get all those lupines in the vertical space of the frame which, to me, works very well. The amount of blur is very soothing and I love the way the greens go to yellow at the top as if you’ve captured a bit of sun up there.

I agree with what’s been said above. ICM can be so much fun to explore, and the results, while often unpredictable, can create abstract art that looks fantastic printed huge. I have one printed on metal on the outside of my garage, where it faces the back yard. It’s a treat to hang something like this.

No suggestions. The purple surrounded by shades of green work beautifully, and I can only image the number of images it took to get one where this placement worked so perfectly.

ML

A beautiful ICM shot, and no signs of the wind you mention. In fact, there is great harmony of color, shape, movement and texture. We can see lupines, but we can also feel the whispers. You could I suppose experiment by blurring more, but I think it’s definitely impressionistic enough. Superb!

Karl: What makes these kind of images so much fun is that they can never be repeated and are completely unique. I also like that one may anticipate a result but you never know how things will turn out until you hit the shutter button and move the camera. I love the complementary color palette especially. Really nicely done. >=))>

Thank you @Mike_Friel @Bill_Fach @Diane_Miller @Dennis_Plank @Mark_Seaver @Marylynne_Diggs

@Marylynne_Diggs - your metal print outdoors - how do the elements affect it ? I assume you did a matte white base finish?

Hi Karl,
I can’t remember if there was a base finish. Bay Photo does all my prints and they are really good at helping you decide on various approaches.

As for weather, it’s been outside for about 5 years, no noticeable degradation. It faces north, so that helps, and is under a short overhang with a gutter (6 inches, certainly not a porch roof). Early on, it did fly off in a wind storm and get dinged up on a corner, but now I have it anchored top and bottom.

This is not its most appealing presentation (table is off center and potted shrub dying to the right) but you get the picture :sweat_smile:.

Bottom left corner has the dings. Just make sure you are really done processing. I have a better version of it in my online gallery :innocent:.

ML