Madrone bark

Despite having two of these trees on our property I have struggled to get pleasing pictures of the bark, which peels off every summer. This one is from 2014 and I have yet to do one I like better. (But I’ll keep trying and show it off if I succeed!) Would love to use the easy focus stacking I have now.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D3, Sigma 180mm macro, ISO 800, f/16, 1/20 sec. Minimal processing in LR and PS. Haven’t had time to go back to the raw file and see if I can improve it. Could probably use some NR.

2 Likes

This works quite nicely for me, Diane. Well done.

Lovely composition and color. It is almost an abstract in that I have to study it a little to see the tree. The colors are perfectly saturated and balanced. The diagonal line and curls add interest. Nicely done, Diane!

Really nice abstract image with astounding detail and color contrast. Well done!

This looks great, Diane. The bark is pretty amazing with it’s red against green. You’ve got a good balance between the colors, with the curls very well placed.

A lovely, abstractish image. The peeling red bark revealing the new green beneath is a wonderful sign of renewal. There’s a great diagonal flow happening.