Magical Light Roseisle

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Roseisle Woods, Moray, Scotland

Pine woodlands are pretty sterile places and I suppose this one is no exception, never-the-less low angle tangential sunlight from the setting sun streamed in from Roseisle Beach and some of it spilled onto the trees leaving everything else suitably subdued in the forest gloom. I found it exhilarating to photograph such fine and extremely transient light.

Technical Details

Fuji GFX 50S (the old one), Fuji GF 100-200 zoom, at f/16 at 1/8 second, ISO 100.

Hey Ian, I’ve always struggled to succeed with images like this. I really like how you have handled the shadows, something I want to learn to improve on. They are dar, low contrast, and lots of detail in there. I really like that, personally. Highlights look great too, you could maybe desaturate them a touch if you were so inclined. You’ve done a good job of framing this to minimize any distractions. I would be interested in maybe a 2x3 or 9x16 that eliminates the far right edge and the greenery there. I also cleaned up a few twigs that seemed to be catching some light. I think it emphasizes the pattern of trunks a light a little more.

Amazing light Ian! Not much else to say.

Hope all is well on the other side of the pond.

Wow. Terrific light in a dark forest. It’s almost ghost like or an apparition. The forest floor is so clean as well. As @David_Wallace said, you handled the high contrast nicely, retaining deep darks without going pitch black while also controlling the highlights. I don’t mind the saturation although I can see some might find it a bit much. I like the crop that David came up with as well. Beautiful light!