Magical Morning in Slovenia (+Repost)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was made on a quiet morning on a hike in the Triglav National Park in Slovenia this summer. What grabbed me initially was the mystery of what was ahead of us, as this was our first time. I loved the way the dappled light hit the path along the way.
Finally getting around to posting the re-work. I did a fair amount of dodging and burning, and changed the crop a bit to exclude the distracting branches on the top.

Specific Feedback

I wonder if I could do more with leading the eye with local dodging and burning, though I am torn as I love the details of the trees. Do you think it would be worth trying the new point color tool in LR to help differentiate and separate the greens and yellows?

Technical Details

No tripod as I was hiking
ISO 800, 100 mm, F14 1/125
Sony a7RIV
Tamron 28-200/2.8
no filters

I love the softness of the light on this lovely trail. Hard to do when it’s middle of the day. I think you have plenty of color separation in the greens and yellows. The only dodging I might play around with is at the very end of what we can see of the trail, to invite us further down the path (at least in our imagination). You might add just a tich of burning on the right side corners. The left side is good for that. I really like how the path has a defined section of gravel right at the start that has great highlights, again leading me into the image. Nice!

I really like this image for the reasons stated above. However, I will also add the framing from the trees at the start of the path really help get the path for the eyes started. I also like the tree trunks at the very end of the path. They give my eyes a target after they follow the path.

Thanks, Connie for your thoughtful and constructive feedback! I will rework the right side and add a bit more dodging at the distant end of the trail.

Thank you Alexander! I will tweak the dodge/burn suggestions. I appreciate your input!

@Julia_Hallee, I think this a lovely scene. It could be anywhere, but lucky for you that you were able to go to Slovenia (Lake Bled is on my bucket list)! I think you achieved a very nice pastoral mood here. The tree on the far right is a little too bright to my eye. Also, the dark edges of the trees at the top of the frame and the bright leaves on the far left distracted me a bit. I downloaded your image and did a quick edit. I cropped it a little and removed the one remaining bright leaf on the far left. I also did a little burning of the brightly lit tree on the far right.

Patrick! Thanks so much for taking the time to give me suggestions and also your version. I like it! I just love the community here!
Oh and Slovenia is a beautiful place! So much to see there!

Julia, you’re welcome!

1 Like