Magnolia 2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Magnolias of many varieties grace the Seattle Arboretum in the spring; but it requires persistent visiting . Sometimes there’s a surprise!

Technical Details

ISO 500. f/3.5. 1/400 sec.

1 Like

Yes, Delton, having had Magnolias in a former yard, I know well how hard it is to find a “perfect” bloom, especially on the early blooming varieties. The details in the innards look great and are set off nicely by the bokeh in the background. You’ve filled the frame well with the flower and it’s drooping petal.

The magnolia is beautiful Del. I love the “open door” into the center of the flower in this one.

Mark: Thank you; sometimes you get lucky

Del

Good eye here Del. These big blossoms tempt photographers when perfect, but they can be much more interesting when falling apart (I personally love to shoot fallen, decomposing Camellia blossoms). Plus until these Magnolia flowers start to dissect themselves on their stems, you can’t see in internal parts as well. Here, they are revealed and pull in the eye perfectly. Only suggestion is to shoot this next time with dark shade behind it.