Magnolia

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

If you are acquainted with this species, don’t you wish you could smell the flower?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Commonly known as the bull bay or southern magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) is a large, striking, evergreen tree with large white, fragrant flowers up to 30 cm (12 in) in diameter. the flowers, which discolor easily if bruised, appear on the ends of thick, tough stems all over the tree. They are cup-shaped, about 8 inches across, with 6 thick petals, wider at the tip, where they are cupped. The blossoms open about 9:00 A.M. and close at night for 2 or 3 days; then all the stamens are shed and the flower reopens, turns brown, and disintegrates. The flowers appear throughout the summer and into fall. The flowers produce cone-like seedpods that contain large red seeds. When the pods open, the seeds often fall from their place and hang by silky threads.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 10D; Canon EF 100 mm macro; f4.5 @ 1/60 sec, -0.5 EV ISO100; backlit plus fill flash from the front; although the tree lived in my front yard, I chose to photograph the flower in a studio setting; Gitzo tripod; RRS BH 55; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Enough to Identify, yet retains some mystery?

3 Likes

Lovely composition and I really like the depth of field you chose, Bob.

A Southern Magnolia can offer a wonderful subject deserving of a graceful presentation, but I think this image falls short of the potential. The horizontal top edge of the petal is a very distracting element, further emphasized against the black BG. The low contrast of the center and its stem weakens detail in an important element. In such a simple image, border patrol is important. The small piece of a petal intruding on the left edge could be cloned out as could the very bright triangle in the lower left corner.

A worthy subject for a re-try.

Bob: We have a number of magnolia trees in our garden and one like this in particular. I like the stage you caught this one in and the color and purity of it. I also like the comp and light on the flower. :+1: :+1:>=))>

The detail in the stamen (I think it is called) and the large depth of field attracted my eye to the image.

Thank you @Bill_Fach for your generous comments. I only had this one tree in my yard.

Thank you @Willemd for your comments.