Maine Waterfall

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Comments welcome.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I visited Maine in October 2021 when the fall colors were beginning to peak. As someone born in the North but living in Florida, I like to revisit these images every fall to bring back nice memories.

Technical Details

Sony a1, Sony 24-70mm lens at 66mm, manual exposure, f/22 @ 1/8th, ISO 46

I thought I was posting this to the Weekly Challenge but apparently the challenge was too great and it ended up in Landscape!

Hi Charles, this is a beautiful scene and my initial reaction to it is to appreciate the warmth of the image and what seems to to be a very delicate composition, I really like how the shame of the maple leaves seem to mimic the shape of the waterfall, it almost looks like it is acting as a sort of umbrella! Anyhow, what I like about this image is how it inspires my imagination, as well as being simply a pleasure to look at.

Perfectly composed. A warm autumn feeling.

Really nice image. I like the way you included the environment around the falls. Perhaps the color on the leaves in the lower branch are a bi too saturated?

Nice light and nice scene. Hard light is great, but really difficult if there are several different elements in the picture. Such an image should be processed by using the raw in the camera and linear profile in Lightroom, which balances the contrasts considerably.
Edge areas are difficult if they have colorful elements, so I would at least remove those red branches on the left