Making Friends & repost with vignette for David

I went to the ocean a couple weeks ago and the best part was getting to spend time with a couple of crows. One was looking for leftover food on the sidewalk, so I started to feed her some of my almonds and then she flew away and came back with another friend! I was crouching in the grass and they would hop up to me and beg for more food!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
185mm
1/1250
f/5.3
ISO 800

Nice job on the exposure of the blacks, Vanessa, and you have excellent detail in the plumage. I think you made a good choice to expose for the blacks in the bird and let the background fall out however it wanted. The bright background works in this image.

1 Like

Thanks so much, Dennis! @Dennis_Plank That’s what I was going for. I knew from what I’ve learned on this site from different people that you have to almost overexpose to get the dark birds. The sun was overhead so maybe not always the best angle but I didn’t want to pass on capturing these moments!

I do agree with Dennis on this one with respect to the exposure choices you made. I like the pose. One thing you could do about the bright backgrounds throw in a mild vignette which would darken the background a bit.

1 Like

Such an inquisitive look. They’re so smart no wonder they exploited you! Glad to see you back and posting. I was wondering where you got off to.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @David_Schoen glad you like it. I see what you mean about a vignette, I’ll have to try it!
Thank you @Kris_Smith! Yeah, crows are so intelligent, I love watching them but when I can interact a little it’s even more amazing!

@David_Schoen , Hi again, David! What do you think? I think the vignette helps!..

It does help but in general, vignettes should be subtle…

1 Like

OK, thanks for your guidance!