Male Black Headed Grosbeak, large crop

The Black Headed Grosbeak’s have finally arrived here in the Pacific Northwest. They’re very skittish but typically will eventually calm down and come to my feeders. For me, this is the first true sign of the spring migration. Beautiful color in both the male and female and I have seen both. This is a very large crop, 9 megapixels out of 61. But I like the environment and I like the speckled light on the bird. This is a cedar tree on which it has perched.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-800, 100-400 at 400 mm, F6 .3, 1600th, handheld, no flash, roughly 15% of full frame, A7r4

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

He is beautiful, David. Love his colors. The bush he is in makes for a very nice perch, with all of the branches seeming to lean in the direction that the bird is looking.

1 Like

Nice look at the grosbeak. For me, the setting is great and makes the photo.