Mallard and chicks

I liked the symmetry between the duck and chicks and the large and small rocks.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Should I remove some of the debris from the water. Do you feel the rocks add or detract? Thanks.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; 100-400@210mm; 1/640@f9; ISO250

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Good environmental image of the duck. I think you made the best use of the still water - the reflections add a lot to the image. Lighting is very good too. Not sure if this is full frame, but I might move the duck a little more to the left - to me it looks a little tight on the right edge.

1 Like

Very nice image. I might add just a bit more on the right so the duck does not seem so tight in the frame. You may consider toning down the reeds around the duck a bit. Might make the duck pop out a bit more. The rocks make this for me. thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Very nice capture of this environment. I too like the symmetry with the rocks and the mother duck and chicks. My only thought would be to tone down the blue a bit. Tends to dominate the frame.

1 Like

Superb family, behavioral, and environmental capture. I really like the comp. I do agree with Keith about reducing the blue saturation a bit.

1 Like

Sorry to be so late at this, Allen. I love the composition. You might play with bringing the exposure on the duck and chicks up a bit more and possibly lowering the exposure on the smaller rock to make the eye go to the birds more positively. A very cool image.

1 Like