Mallard Coming in for a Landing + Rework

EDITED with more space around duck:

EDITED:

ORIGINAL:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was sitting on the bank of a pond watching for muskrat when a pair of mallards came in. My shutter was slow because of that and I had only a couple seconds to get this shot. It was also still pretty dark before sunrise.

Specific Feedback

I’m having a problem with the lighter fringing you can see mostly around the head - I did use the deblur in Lightroom but I think I noticed the fringing after darkening the water. Not sure… Help appreciated!

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-T3, 1/1000s, f/5.6, ISO 3200, 165mm

Nice landing shot. The head looks sharp and the wing blur conveys the action. I see the fringing you mention. It seems very faint and probably wouldn’t have noticed without your comment. I’ll be interested to hear how others approach this. I generally try to clone in the water over the fringed area; not sure if that’s the best way to do it as it can be rather tedious. You might also see if you can bring up the purple color in the wing.

1 Like

Lovely landing image, Debbie. The easiest way o troubleshoot is to start turning off the visibility of various layers (if you work in layers). The odds are that if you darkened the background the selection or mask you did of the body of the duck was just slightly off. It’s pretty straightforward to go in and fix either one as long as you have a copy that hasn’t been flattened. If you have the bird on a separate layer, you probably ended up with just a bit of background around the head and you can just carefully go around that layer with the eraser brush after blowing it up good and large. If you did it with masks, you can alter the mask with either a black or white brush depending on how you did it.

1 Like

You might be able to fix the fringing by creating a new layer and set the options for the layer to darken. Then use the rubber stamp tool and go over the fringed areas of the outline and you should see the fringing be less obvious. I like the colors and soft lighting. I wish that there was more space below and to the right of the duck as the comp is pretty tight. A good image and please repost it after you work on the fringing…Jim

Posted a new version of this duck, less fringing.

That fixed it nicely, Debbie. Well done.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank Thank you! I’ll watch out for that next time. I wound up modifying one of the masks in Lightroom then using the rubber stamp in PS to fix the remaining light fringe.