Mallard Hen Pursued by Drake - RP

Mallard Drake In Hot Pursuit

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out for a walk at our local duck (settling) ponds near the Ventura Harbor. This mallard hen came flying up the bank and landed in the dirt road right in front of me. The first time I was too slow and only got blurred images. The second and third rounds I was ready and got a few of the poor little hen coming in looking for some interference. She was being hotly pursued by two mallard drakes, one of which I’ve posted second here. I have never seen that kind of behavior in wild ducks, although they do seem to be used to having people walking around the ponds. She flew in and landed just ten or fifteen feet away.

Specific Feedback

It was very bright at that time of day, and I know the light is not the best. I pushed the highlights and whites back to -40 each, and even dialed back the exposures to try to get some detail in the whites of the wings. The drake is almost full frame as he was really close when he got there. I cropped a bit off the top and cloned in a bit on the bottom to try to get a better composition for him. I should probably do something more with the BG to try to make the ducks stand out more, not sure if I should lighten, blur it a bit, darken, or what exactly. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Technical Details

Hen - Canon 7D MII, f7.1, 1/1600 sec, iso 400, -0.7 exp bias, 150 mm (100-400/1.4 TC)
Drake - f8, 189 mm, otherwise the same

Nice job on both of these images, Ed. I think breeding season for Mallards is upon us and the males tend to be pretty aggressive. Duck mating looks more like attempted murder through drowning, so I can see why she would be fleeing. Good job getting the focus with such fast action.

Nice catches Ed of these landing poses. Seeing the green head so well on the male is always a treat. Might add a little on the left in the first image and perhaps take out the black in upper middle but all that is minor. Nice captures.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks for your kind remarks. I went ahead and reworked the hen a bit as you’ve suggested Allen. My wife told me that I should lighten or remove that black bush before I posted the hen. . .

Always listen to your wife. Right? Anyway, nice shots, especially to get the hen coming at you. Good color and detail in the male.

1 Like