Manatee leader

This is the largest member of a pod of 5 Manatees that we found in the Ocklawaha river. The brighter whitish marks are propeller scars. (5D3, 24-105 @ 43 mm, 1/30 s, f/10, iso 800, polarizer)

1 Like

These manatee have such an ā€œout of this worldā€ feel to them, Mark. Strangely curious. How large would you guess this one to be?? Great capture.

Linda, this one was longer that Mikeā€™s boat so it was over 10 feet long.

Such an awesome capture, Mark. Itā€™s sad they are often scarred and injured by boats, but that giant, ghostly image is not soon forgotten.

Thanks, Mark. Thatā€™s much larger than I thought.

Beautiful capture and I just love the diagonal composition !

Hey Mark, Great shot of this ā€˜Big Boyā€™, I would put him at about 11 feet from nose to tip of tail and weighing in at about 1000 lbs which is typical for an adult male leading a group of females like we saw. BTW my boat is 22 feet. I have set the dates for my December 2021 Tennessee River Sandhill Crane Tour, Info Here - https://www.mikieproductions.com/tennessee-sandhill-crane-tour

Mike, if Iā€™d have thought for 30 seconds, I have known that your boat is a lot longer than 10 feet, but it still seems like this manatee was longer than your boatā€¦guess that makes it a ā€œmanatee storyā€.