Marbled Godwits photobombing Western Sandpipers/RP

Coastal bay in western Washington last week.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
iso 160, 400 plus 1.4X, f5.6, 2000th, 50% full frame

Hi David, this is quite a cool shot IMO. Great to get all the top birds sharp and flying over the sandpipers without intersecting any them. Nice exposure too. Would be nice if you have the space not to cut off the last bird’s tail on right. Well done.

Thanks Allen, I totally missed it when I posted.

A very nice frame, David. While there were a lot of Western Sandpipers, I think these are something different-not sure what. They gave us some interesting flock shots on this trip.

Could they be Sanderlings?

I’m not sure. I think I IDed these, but it’s no the computer at home and I can’t remember right now. I’ll get back to you.

@David_Schoen I think the relative size of the Godwits is misleading the ID. I had an image of the same birds with a bunch of peeps and they were quite a bit larger. Michelle and I think these are Black-bellied Plovers. The beak is too short for most other species. Also, I had one frame of this same scene that included an individual that wasn’t quite in winter plumage and was showing a lot of black.

Regarding the beaks, I would have to say you and Michelle are correct about the BB Plover ID. But these would be juveniles then. Here is an adult still partially in breeding plumage.

Hi David
Very cool fly by. The top flyby looks like a time-lapse shot of a single bird coming for a landing. Very nice work.
Peter