Marine Layer pano

I think the idea behind the photo “challenge” is to go out and shoot AFTER you learn of the challenge… it doesn’t mean go search your archives… :rofl::roll_eyes: Ok, I’m totally guilty of this previously. However, I’m happy to post this image that was captured less than 6 hours ago - on my Samsung S7.

My wife and I just returned from an over-night stay in Pacific Grove on the Monterey Peninsula. If I can’t be in Yosemite. I’d rather be here.

3-image handheld cell phone pano stitch. I did a CA-clone in the UR to remove about a 1/2 dozen vehicles - and there are a couple other anomalies. Also burned and did some work reducing the exposure in the bright areas lower right.

Not to shabby for a handheld cell phone stitch…

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

All comments welcome! Thanks for looking!

Lon, this looks like a great place to visit and revisit. The rocky coast, the bits of surf, and that cloud bank create a fine sense of place. As you say, “Not to shabby for a handheld cell phone stitch…”. Technology can add capabilities. I think processing for a bit more contrast in the lower right would be a nice improvement.

Really? Is that right @Mark_Seaver? I wasn’t aware of that. Although it had crossed my mind.

This could seriously diminish submissions. How does someone in Florida meet a snowy image challenge? How do I go out to shoot a foggy image when there hasn’t been fog where I live in 6 months.

Igor, like Lon, I think that part of the “challenge” is the idea, “Could I come up with a strong image on assignment?” I try that maybe half of the time and occasionally succeed. I have no problem with folks going into their image files to find examples. That too is very much like what happens with magazine and even contest submissions. Whether an image was taken recently or long ago has no effect on my editor’s pick.

For me great panos aren’t just wide. There’s sweep and movement from one side to the other, and this one nails it with the transitions from cloudy to bright complementing the transitions along the shore. My eye is drawn to the dark forms on the left and the combination of light, color and shape naturally carry me across the frame. Nice!

Lon: I spent a lot of time in my youth on the Oregon coast and return as often as I can. This reminds me of that coastline. Wonderful scene superbly captured and presented.>=))>