Marinette Lighthouse

I walked out onto Lake Michigan for this a couple of years ago when the ice was piling up. The liquid water underneath pushes and pulls it into these shapes and the wind sculpts the snow. It happens pretty much every year, but its a wonder every time I see it. The lighthouse is so great for a little bit of scale. Just luck that it’s red.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m open to ideas to improve.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 lens @ 35mm (70mm equiv.)
f/13 | 1/160 sec | ISO 200
Handheld

Lr processed for white balance, a crop off the top, setting white and black points. Dehaze in the foreground and some increased texture. A tiny bit of color grading in foreground. Ps to remove a dust spot in the sky and another structure sticking up behind the ice. Curves adjustment to bring up the mids.

@the.wire.smith

Very cool image with impressive shadows and shapes. The lighthouse in the background is just enough to add interest and break up all that white snow and blue sky.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Schoen - the shots without the lighthouse aren’t as effective unless you know what you’re looking at. The structure, as tiny as it is, adds as sense of place and scale I think is important.

Kris, the waves of ice look great and have lots of detail. The red lighthouse is quite the change of color for a nice bit of drama.

1 Like

Thanks Mark. The color is a bonus, but the location isn’t. It’s in front of a larger industrial complex that isn’t so picturesque. Luckily the ice piles could block out most of it and a quick clone job got rid of another little bit.