Marsh Wren

I found this Marsh Wren at the same stop as the Song Sparrow I posted yesterday. As is typical for this species it was in and out of the reeds continuously and only momentarily in the open. This is the only decent shot I got of it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. If you look closely, you’ll see that there’s a twig under the bird’s right wing. This pushed it toward me and out of the band of good focus, so I tried doing some cloning to repair it (it looked pretty ugly in the original). I’m not sure how well it worked.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, beanbag on car window, f/8, 1/800, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image. Cropped from a horizontal original to a 2928x3536 vertical. Taken at 11:28 am on November 20th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Now I know why it took you so long to catch up with me in the last loop. This is excellent. I really like the composition. The vent read over the top of the Wren frames it nicely and provides superb diagonal elements to the portrait. Well done.

Fantastic capture, Dennis.

Having tried to capture Marsh Wrens in the past, I know how difficult it is to get an unobstructed shot of one. Kudos on that!

I have to second David’s note about the framing of the bent reed. It really makes this one for me.

Congrats on a wonderful shot!

Yes, the reed is a nice frame for the wren. I rarely see the pattern on the back of these guys and you captured it with this view. Got to love those browns and makes it an excellent seasonal photo…Jim

That is a really nice wren shot. Well framed by the bent reed and perched right on the pinnacle of all those reeds coming up from the bottom. And a good point made about not getting to see these little guys backs. The little twig is not a big deal. Also, there is lots of other fine feather details so the bit of wing pushed out is not an issue either. Nice exposure. You really captured that cool wet environment.

Nice environmental shot. Good detail and I can’t discern your repair work. Agree with the others that the bent reed is a nice framing element.