Marsh wren

For me, Marsh Wrens are among the most difficult species to photograph in the wetland environment. Generally, finding one is difficult because they spend so much time in the grasses hiding. Coaxing them into the open is a matter of luck. Even if you find one, focusing can be difficult because of the surrounding environment. I did learn a trick yesterday; if one has the ability to go from full frame to APC mode, the smallest focus area gets even smaller in APC mode enabling one to thread the needle and focus on the subject.
The environment is busy but that’s where they live. I cloned a few branches that were distracting but tried to leave is much as possible as what was there.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Sorry about the shadows. I think it could be a little brighter in the hat posterior head region.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-1000, 400+ 2X, F7 .1, 1000th, A7r4, handheld, 25% of full frame.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very nice, David. It takes a lot of patience and luck to get one without any obstructing vegetation. I like the typical wren pose and the nice view of the tail. I think the exposure on the head is fine.

This is a nice look at the wren with good detail front to back. The background works well with the wren and hints at its typical environment.

Nice one David. Just a little bit of the back is visible which is only way I can ID them. Lots of nice complimentary colors.