Matterhorn sunset

I had to spelunk through image files to dig out this sunset view of the Matterhorn taken in 2013 from the balcony of our hotel room in Zermatt. I posted this to the old NPN back then, but with so many new members, I thought it deserves a 2nd chance. (5D3, 70-200 @ 70, 1/20 s, f/13, iso 100, tripod)

4 Likes

Quite a dramatic scene, Mark, with the scattered intense clouds set against the very for bidding Matterhorn. Great capture.

Wow! That is an interesting sky for sure. Is there another mountain range behind fog?

1 Like

WOW!! It sure does! The mountain is amazing enough but those clouds are surreal – I’ve never seen a thin layer fold over like that, and then to catch the last rays of sun!

Mark, I’m glad you resurrected the image for us newbies. Those clouds are on fire! One interesting thing I also want to mention is that there is a certain sketch-like feel to the whole image, especially around the Matterhorn lines and LRC. I like the small constructions that can barely be seen near the center of the image. They enhance the size of the mountain.

This is a very cool shot, Mark. That cloud has so much character and creates a really unique image. At least I have never seen a photo of the Matterhorn like this.

It’s all down hill in the distance, which is why the late afternoon sun lights the clouds from below.

@Mark_Seaver Wow! Those are really crazy clouds, and you had a lovely view of the Matterhorn at the same time without the clouds obstructing it. A very unusual capture. Thanks for taking the time to look this up!