Meados at dawn in the Alps

In September I and my relliable dachshund went on vacation in the Alps, in Val Aurina, a nice valley near the border with Austria. There we have found peace, silence, a splendid natue, many hiking trails and beautiful mountain meadows. This was just in front of our hotel and I ad the opportunity to taken it at dawn and at sunset.
Here is at a beginning dawn.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is it too dark?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

D 850, Nikkor 24-70mm at 55mm - 1/125, f/11, ISO 100

Wonderful light Giuseppe. No I do not think it is too dark . I like the heavy contrast. Una Bellezza…

No, I do not think it is too dark either, the deep shadows really help define the highlights in the image. My primary processing suggestion would be to dodge the lighter tones a bit more, especially in the trees in the bottom half of the image. This would help bring out further the nice zig-zag highlights in the center of the image.

In terms of composition, my wish would be to see a continuous strip of grass across the entire bottom of the image., by composing slightly wider.

Gigi, the zig-zag of bright grasses and the high contrast are true highlights here. They create a fine mix of drama and shape. You could crop off the trees at the bottom to make it more about shape and light and less about place.

Ed McGuirk.
Two good suggestions. I applied the brightening of the lower part of the image for enhansing the zig-zag and the trees. For the bottom I received two good advices yours and that of Mark Seaver. I applied the second because appears to me more radical.
Mark Seaver.
Yes now the photo has more strenght and less distractions.
Thanks Ed and Mark.

1 Like