Medicine Lake Bald Eagle - Edit

Edited

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On our way in to the Maligne Lake Cruise to Spirit Island, we passed the eagle’s nest at Medicine Lake. This parent was perched outside the nest keeping an eye on everything and everyone around.

Specific Feedback

I think the BG provides a decent setting to make the eagle stand out. I hope it is not too busy. Your comments and ideas for improvement are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Technical Details

Canon R5, f9, 1/200s, iso 800, 100-500+1.4tc at 560 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Very nice!! Wonderful detail, perch and pose. I could see a slight crop from the top and gradient burn at the bottom, but those are small things.

Thanks for the advice @Diane_Miller. I like your suggested edits.

Very nice image of this eagle, Ed. The repost works well. This is one of those images that looks better large because the background looks more detailed when viewed small (why literally everything looks good on the back of the camera or a phone). In the larger image the background is just fine. Nice job handling the whites on the head.

Ed, the background does a great job of highlighting the eagle without overpowering the subject. The soft blur keeps the focus on the bird, while the muted tones complement the eagle’s natural colors beautifully. It’s a fine balance that you’ve achieved here.

Your treatment of the BG is perfect for this subject. Your edits are very clean and like the I’m the Boss pose set by the eagle. Well done…Jim

I like the pose and detail is great. Nice snag as well. I like the edited version. Background works for me. Nice capture.

I really appreciate all of your comments on this @Dennis_Plank, @Saundie, @Jim_Zablotny, and @Allen_Brooks. Thank you very much. Allen, are you back home from your Costa Rica trip now?

Hi Ed, nice catch of this regal bird and I like the upwards glance. Nice job on the exposure. I like your edits in the repost. Well done.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks. I appreciate your comments.