One Giant Nest - Two Images/New Order

Eaglet Center of Attention

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This eagle’s nest was at Medicine Lake in Jasper NP, on the way into Maligne Lake from Jasper. I was amazed at the size of this nest. It looks like a major engineering project that just kept growing.

Specific Feedback

I know this is a busy BG and Busy BG, which kind of loses the eaglet in the center a bit. For that reason I applied a vignette to try to accentuate the center some. I appreciate any comments or suggestions you have to improve the image or future opportunities like this.

Technical Details

Canon R5, f13, 1/125s, iso1000,100-500+1.4tc at 700mm. Cropped for composition.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I think the second image works. Removing some of the background helps and still allows the viewer to gauge the enormity of the nest and there’s more attention directed at the eagle.

Both images work for me, Ed. It depends on the story you’re trying to tell. If you want a “bird” photograph, the second probably works better, but if you want to tell the story of the enormous nest, the first works better and the eaglet still shows well.

P.S. To rest your foot, get a copy of Edwin Way Teale’s “North with the Spring”. There’s a chapter early on about the retired banker who spent all his time climbing trees in Florida to band eaglets. This was before DDT and development nearly wiped them out.

1 Like

Hi Ed, a fine pair of images that show off the enormity of the nest and also the environment of the birds. I agree with Allen as I’m drawn in to the second image with intimacy with the subject and still having a sense of habitat and nest size. Well seen and taken.

Thank you @Allen_Brooks, @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks. Being ambivalent is a problem sometimes. That’s why I posted both of them to get some feedback on these. I think I will rearrange to put the second one first. I was so impressed with the size of this nest though. Thank you for helping me out here.