Merged in dreams

I had no idea when I shot this last month that an appropriate weekly challenge would present itself. This view is from one of the public boat launches on the Wisconsin river. I often paddle by here launching from the backyard and meant to stop in the fall with color and snow on the trees, but was in a hurry to get to another photography location so didn’t. Am bummed about that so that’s why I stopped with some fresh snow instead of colorful leaves. Next year if we get October snow, I’ll make a point to try since the current can be very slow as it is here, giving us that lovely mirror-like reflection.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld w/out CPL since I wanted all of that reflection coming back. Manual exposure if I recall.

Lr for some work to even out tonalities using masks primarily. Nothing too heroic as Diane says. A bit of a crop possibly.

1 Like

This is so pretty. I like that there’s just a little bit of color, but it’s not overwhelming. I’m sure it’s gorgeous in the fall too, but I like the simplicity and feel like it goes along with the stillness of the water.

Kris, there’s a quiet chilliness here that is very attractive. The almost perfectly calm water makes great reflection.

Nice winter reflection, Kris. The evergreens add a lot of beautiful contrast. Very peaceful to look at. I could see myself kayaking that river. I have no suggests. Very nicely seen!

1 Like

This is SO cool! I can’t imagine it being better with some autumn color – but if it is, I’m betting we’ll get to see that, too. I love the blush of color at the shoreline!

1 Like

Thanks @karlag, @Mark_Seaver, @Donna_Callais & @Diane_Miller - I almost didn’t put it up because it’s a bit soft IMO, but running it through Topaz even at low sharpening levels just made everything too crunchy so I didn’t. It’s probably frozen solid now, but even that could be an interesting photo, especially if I can get on the ice a bit. This is about as calm as the water gets - there seems to always be wind here so it’s special when we get these conditions.

1 Like

I love this. The symmetry if wonderful. The reflection is so clear it’s hard to tell which way is up. Colored leaves are nice, but the show and frost is more graphic. Nice work.

1 Like

Kris, I don’t have much to add to the other comments. I love not only the symmetry, but the peacefulness of the scene, the bits of green on the trees contrasting with the starkness of the other trees and the snow. Just beautiful!

Thanks @Chris_Baird & @robertakayne - this part of the river is a pretty great place even if it isn’t wild any longer. In winter it’s especially peaceful and I’m glad I stopped for a few minutes to get this image.

This is absolutely gorgeous, Kristen- I especially love the colors in here, such soft tones and subtle contrast which makes it perfect dream like scenery as it’s so fitting to your title.

Thank you for sharing your art!

Thank you @Misaki_Saito - the colors were so muted that I wondered if people would like them that way and I’m so happy that you do.

1 Like

This is a very nice and peaceful Winter symmetry scene, Kristen! That’s some very still water for a river! I like the natural colors with the brown grasses at the water line. It really enhances the symmetry affect. Well done!

Thanks @Gary_Minish - when it’s not windy, the water can be quite still. This section is between two dams that are probably 4 miles apart so that’s why it’s so slow. It’s like a lake with a little bit of current. One of my favorite things to do is to paddle up to the next dam and drift back down to the dock.

I love this. The subtle colors with the beautiful snowy frosty conditions present just enough contrast. Great symmetry image.