Tannic dreams

I got a little carried away doing reflections in a very shallow stream I managed to get the kayak into. Alas it is no longer accessible unless you get out of the boat and portage - big trees came down in a storm a couple years ago. But I’ve attached additional photos so you can see where this reflection comes from. It was May 20 and before full leaf-out so the leaves were very light green and small. One of the most magical kayaking experiences I’ve had.

On the way in -

On the way out, back to the Wisconsin River which is behind the trees -

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I took a few liberties with color here to enhance the feeling of spring and lightness. Does it work?

Technical Details

Handheld in the kayak

Lr for basic curves adjustment to set white and black points, increased exposure a bit using some masks and cropped to eliminate a bright edge. HSL and Calibration panels to massage colors to what I wanted. Topaz Denoise to get rid of that and sharpen things a bit.

I like it because all the squiggly lines make it fun, Kris. The bright colors just add to the feel. The river looks like a wonderful place to explore and wander. Lucky you!

Really appreciate the extra photos to show the location and context for the image Kristen, which is a gallery worthy abstract in my view. I would suggest the upper right has blown highlights; no doubt you have so much image area to work with that you could re-crop and resolve that.

Works for me. It does look like spring colors. What a very cool place!

Thanks @linda_mellor, @james7 & @Bonnie_Lampley - I have a bunch of these from different spots so plenty to work with. Yeah, the edge there got a little bright. Will have to see what can be done. I am bummed this little stream is no longer accessible. Last summer I tried to bring a friend, but we couldn’t get past a huge blow down. Maybe if we get a huge deluge the water will shift it some and we can go under or around, but I doubt it. I think this stream comes from a spring-fed lake.

1 Like