Methusela Junipers, Kaiser Pass, Sierra Nevada

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The good dirt road from Huntington Lake to Kaiser Pass harbors a wonderful treat for landscape photographers: Large groves of mature, evergreen Juniper trees, colorful, gnarled, shaggy, rooted in granite and gravel, each one a visual symphony of strength and survival on steep slopes at 10,000+ feet. Here I’ve tried to combine close-up detail of one giant while showing context with another, about 30 feet away.

Specific Feedback

I was excited about these shots but later found there is so much chaos and detail that I struggled to edit in a way that provides some clarity. Blame the framing, maybe, but the massive roots, boulders, bark and deadwood defining the foreground tree were irresistible. This is the personality of these massive evergreens. Some thoughts on how to make this composition work – and set off the smaller tree as the “subject” – would be appreciated. And I don’t mind anyone suggesting that I go back and try again!

Technical Details

Olympus EM1 Mark II, 24MM, ISO 250, F8, 1/125th

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Yes, there is much going on here, but it works for me. I might shift the image a little to the left if you can to get the right-hand tree further from the edge. I’m not a big B&W guy, but this might be a good candidate.

Thanks for this vote in favor Ronald. As with so many of our photos, it is hard to tell if they’d succeed as a large print without making a large print. There is good contrast and color. I remember a time also when it was OK to isolate one’s subject with a wide open lens so that the supporting background was in blur. Not so OK now. Will play with some black and whites too. And return to this spot hopefully in the fall.