Midday Sossusvlei in Black and White

What makes this image expressive?

Unfortunately I couldnt take advantage of the earlier morning light but the shapes of the dunes and the contrasts as a result of the sun suggests a black and white image

Specific Feedback Requested

The sky - no clouds - perhaps this brings out the dunes better ?

3 Likes

Another sand dune image, I wonder if people think of me as a one trick pony!! :smile:

This is a very striking image and I agree, the BW presentation is probably best. You have managed to get a lot of contrast out of the file, which certainly helps to create a lot of impact. There are a number of things to consider.

1: The wide pano format is excellent for emphasising expansiveness and openness. The grandeur of the landscape, the scale, the massiveness. All of these things are good, however, it also makes it a long way from the beautiful S curve on the left to the tree and bushes on the right. The maximum area of contrast is way out left, so that is obviously the most demanding part of the scene. Think of an image like a classroom of 1st grade children. Some of them make a lot of noise, other sit quietly and shy. The s-curve is the noisy child, and demands attention.

2: When we look at volume in images in this way, it gives us a clearer understanding of where we are being drawn to. The danger for anyone producing animate is to make assumptions that what we see and feel, is what others will see and feel. This is a delusion and should be handled with care.

3: I like the image, and it do enjoy the expansive quality of it. I would perhaps assume that you have many other compositions from this shoot and perhaps have isolated the beautiful s-curve on its own.

A very striking image given the bright conditions, and you’ve presented a very powerful and engaging scene. Thank you.

Going for that S shaped dune as the primary subject makes sense and yes I do have a few of those that I am working on
Thanks Alister!