Mille-feuille

Took this image just in front of my apartment. Am quite lucky that I live amidst a garden covered with planted maple trees which become especially beautiful in early autumn.

Specific Feedback Requested

I tried to remove the sheen created by the rainfall the previous day as best as possible in situ, and also a bit in post, but I could not manage entirely. Does it seem distracting from the image? Also, I have kept a gentle approach in post processing in Photoshop, just tweaking a bit of the contrast and removing a bit of the black spots from the edges. So any suggestions on editing would be appreciated. Thank you.

Technical Details

ISO 100, f/11, 218mm, 2s.

Not much of editing went into this except a bit of Midtone Contrast and cleaning the spots from the edges. No HSL tweaks.

2 Likes

A really nice leaf abstraction. Beautiful colors and composition. I usually make quite contrasting pictures and therefore I would raise the tones of the right area and maybe darken it a bit. Light leaves are slightly overshadowed by stronger ones

1 Like

Very nice! I think @jorma has a good point – I wonder about bringing down the highlights a bit, as the orange leaf dominates so strongly, and the “cutout” effect from the yellow leaf is so strong as to give me some visual confusion about which one is on top. That’s good in making me look at the image longer and appreciate the subtleties, but I feel the effect may be a bit too dominant, as the pale leaves on the right are so lovely.

2 Likes

Hi Subhasish, wonderful abstract and small scene image! It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the cutout effect that Diane mentioned. I like your overall framing and layering of leaves. I do agree that the red/orange leaf is a bit overpowering compared to the lighter leaves on the right. Perhaps desaturating that and the yellow leaf may even out the overall color balance. I don’t mind the sheen in the highlights.

1 Like

Honestly, I didn’t even notice the machine that you talk about in the description of the feedback requested. Sometimes we are our own worst critic, and we notice and nitpick about those things more than anyone would ever see them. It’s easy to get caught up on those very small details that can bother us but for the most part 99% of the time they’re going to be not even noticed by the vast majority of people. I love what you’ve done with the patterns of the leaves but more than that I love the visual flow of this photo and how each leaf points to the next one, and it creates a cyclical motion of visual flow in this photo. Very well done.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @jorma, @Diane_Miller, @Alfredo_Mora for the feedback. It is really helpful, will work on them. I agree that the saturation the brighter leaves is a bit higher distracting attention from the right side. Will work on them again. @David_Johnston you sure are right, more than half of my photos I reject because I nitpick a bit too much on them I think. Thanks for the feedback. I personally love this image a lot and even though I have not been able to go to my favourite nearby locations for the autumn yet, I must say I am really satisfied with what I have got from just my doorstep.