Miniature Rose

I picked up a Miniature rose plant at the supermarket a couple of weeks ago, and now that it’s down to the final bud, I finally got around to playing with it this morning. I tried a wide variety of lighting conditions and backgrounds. This one was just positioned in front of an open window with indirect light. I did some work with a luminosity mask and a fair amount of old fashioned burning and dodging. I also used Topaz Detail to bring out petal structure a bit. I also cropped a bit from the sides and added canvas to the top to a 5x4 aspect ratio.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Are there any processing anomalies that you notice?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the glow effect I tried to enhance work?

Any pertinent technical details:

5DII, 180 mm f/3.5 macro, tripos and cable release, f/25, 1.6 sec, iso 200. Processed in LR & PS CC.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

It all works Dennis… the lighting especially. Very pleasing image!

Dennis: Marvelous colors and lighting. My first impression was that I wasn’t sure about the sepal tips exiting the frame on the left but after viewing it large the comp works for me as is. Superbly crafted image. >=))>

Here again is a need for seeing the image large. It is only “pixel peeping” in a limited sense. Looking at the image large 9 times out of 10 is the best way to savor the quality of an image.

I don’t see any processing anomalies. As far as the glow effect, it works much better in the large image.

Dennis,

Very beautiful and the processing and presentation are very effective with approaching the high-key or glow. The back lighting is just gorgeous in the upper petals.

Only little nit is that I’m wishing the leaf tip wasn’t merged with the edge in the LLC (not knowing what a “sepal” is shows my ignorance in this field…) :roll_eyes: The one on the left edge doesn’t bother me as it’s fading off…

Makes me want to start doing some photography around the house…

Lon

Dennis every thing is beautiful for me: transparencies, glow, BG. I usually don’t like very much a high color saturation but in this photo it works very well. About the two sepals touching the edges my feeling is that or shorten both or leave them just as they are. It’s difficult fer me to say which of the two is the best solution. A splendid rose Dennis.

A very interesting take, Dennis. The backlighting creates a rich variety of tones and hues ( the deep orange in the centre looks delightful against the yellows of the back petals. ) I see more glow than detail in the petals and that is fine for the overall effect.

I agree most of the compliments. I love the color and lighting. Beautifully rendered.