Misty River Bay

This is one of my favorite spots to shoot seascapes on the island. It’s very rare that we get fog, so I make the most our salt spray to create some atmosphere. Being on a small densely populated island also makes it a great place to find some space from the regular day to day hustle and bustle.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m not looking for any specific feedback but I’m open to suggestions. The challenge for me with these types of shots is to get access to the ideal position. I wanted to move more to the right to reduce the foreground on the left but ran out of real estate. I chose a Black and White conversion because I found the colours were distracting and I really wanted to push the contrast. I like the repeating groupings of rocks and the transition of textures as the image becomes softer in the foreground. Not sure what my rational was for shooting at f/8, it’s usually around 11-16 for these type of shots. As a result the foreground is a little soft.

Technical Details

21sec f/8 ISO 100 Black and White

Hi Andre, great black and white image here. I really like the square crop too. I think the highlights could be toned down just a touch, or maybe a bit of contrast added to the upper half of the image.

I think the 21second exposure worked very well. The foreground doesn’t bother me at all. Wonderful image.

Hello Andre. I’m really liking the image. That soft light in the spray through the center is really nice. I like that the long exposure gives you some nice shadows on those rocks. Your comment about running out of real estate strikes me because I often think I would like to be able to position myself just a little ways to one side or another, but doing so means taking a dip in some very cold water

Andre,

Wonderful image! Fabulous in b&w - and there is so much to enjoy about this image!

First, the square crop works perfect here. Great range in tone with detail where needed in the darker areas. I’m really enjoying the surf and guess what? The extended exposure has revealed something that doesn’t always happen - and that is the shadows of the rocs in the surf that are allowed to be seen due to the flattening out of the water. Love that part of the image.

I like the sea-salt-misty-foggy atmosphere - it really comes through in this image and your processing.
Everything else just seems to fit together and showcases your island home beautifully.

Beautifully seen, captured and presented.

Lon

Gosh. What a striking and dynamic scene you captured here. The people on the far shore (are those people!?) really seal the deal for me - they add so much scale and perspective. The shadows on the water from the rocks… chefs kiss

Wow, really had to look for those people, Matt. Great catch!

@David_Bostock @Lon_Overacker @Matt_Payne @Cameron_Wilcox Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
@Matt_Payne Your pixel peeping powers are cranked. Yes, those are people up on the cliff.

1 Like

Haha how I edit most of my photos would indicate otherwise! Anyways - awesome image!

1 Like