Mockingbird

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5ds-r, 100x400x1.4 lens, 1/800 sec, 1600 iso, f-8. Decided not to clone out stem near right leg of bird. Used Topaz noise reduction and removed stem from larger limb on upper left.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This is a very nice look at the mockingbird, with excellent detail and a nice backwards look. The background color fits in rather well with the bird, thought the background has some lines running through it-not sure if it is part of the background naturally or due to processing.

Nice shot of the mockingbird with excellent detail, Wayne. The out of focus foreground branch is unfortunate.

Thanks for the review Allen and Dennis. This is the first occasion to catch the Mockingbird at my feeders. Guess they are usually out looking for bugs.
Wayne

A really nice photo of the mocking bird. Nice and sharp and nice pose. I might give that tail just a bit more room to get the rest in the frame if you have it. I don’t mind the green leaves.

Nice catch in spite of the branches over the tail. The lines in the BG referred to be @Allen_Brooks is posterization. It probably occurred in conversion to JPEG, which only has 8 bits of tonal info. The master file should always be in 16-bits, which can minimize posterization but it’s not fixable if you are on the edge when you make the jpeg. There are fewer tonal steps in darks, so they are most susceptible.

Thanks Diane, Appreciate your post. I always use 16 bits . I seem to remember reading something about the Canon 5ds-r and some type of color problem . Don’t remember the source of the article. I believe my photo files degrade when moving them through the editing sources especially my watermark signature software.
Wayne

HI John
Normally a out of focus branch would be something to work around, but with the conversion to B&W, the photograph look like we are seeking a peek into the Mockingbird would. Different and nice.
Peter