Molting Wood Duck

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another shot from the local pond. Light was really flat but I do like the colors on the duck.

Technical Details

iso 1280, 200-400 plus 1.4 at 288mm, f8, 2000th, handheld

Very interesting to see the molting. I agree about the colours! It’s great you caught the reflection and drop of water on the end of its beak as well. I find the background and the gentle ripple very appealing. You have created proof that something can be made of flat light too.

Hi David. You did a really nice job on this one. The processing is excellent. By the way, I looked it up when I got home and this isn’t mid molt. It’s called the eclipse phase plumage and it’s basically their non-breeding plumage.

Nice image David. I love seeing the subtle colors on the back. And also a view of the red eye. When I saw the thumbnail, I was thinking a lower angle may be better but I’m not sure that would have revealed the colors on the back we see here.

Nicely done all the way around. The eye really caught my attention. A different look at this duck than normally seen. Nice