Mom, Feed Me w/Repost

Contrast and Color touchup:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)

I had the pleasure of watching this fellow grow up with his mom feeding him. Finally, she had enough and forced him to get his own food. Pretty fun image here, I think.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/800sec @ f/8, ISO 1600

1 Like

Very cool story told by this image, David, and an excellent image. I don’t know why, since I’ve seen plenty of adults, but I don’t recall ever seeing a youngster of this species.

Awww, that’s one needy kid. I guess they push it as long as they can. The interaction is great and I like the placement in the frame with the ripples that infer movement and action. I think you could bring the blacks down a little bit and add a touch of magenta to the tone range. The story plays out well in that you can imagine mom just having enough with this kid already.

Lovely story told by this image David!

This is probably a bit of a nit, and it would mean loosing some of the nice ripples on the LHS, but my first impression was that there is a little too much space there.

@Dennis_Plank, @Kris_Smith, @mdjnewman thank you for the comments and suggestions.

@mdjnewman, tried the crop you suggested. Not sure it helps or hurts. It does put both heads dead center…

@Kris_Smith I brought the blacks down a bit which adds a bit of contrast. Nice. And, adding Magenta? Tall order for me, because, color. :grin: I gave it a try and am posting the image here for comments. If you all like it, then I’ll add it to the top.

Thanks again.

Hmm I’m not sure about the crop now either that I see it :thinking: Would love to hear others thoughts on it.

I like to colours & contrast more in this one :+1:

Thanks Matt, I appreciate your comments. I think I’ll stick with the original crop and new contrast/colors.

Thanks again.

Hi David, I like the repost up top. It gives a richness to the birds’ colors. The waves in upper left provide an interesting leading line to birds and also their nice reflection. Cool behavioral interaction you captured. Well done.

Repost looks good - as Allen says, it adds richness to the feathers.

@Allen_Sparks and @Kris_Smith thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.