Monarch Caterpillar

This is the first year I have intentionally planted to attract Monarchs. My swamp milkweed is covered with caterpillars, and the Monarchs are still laying eggs,

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 140mm, f/6.7, 1/500 sec., ISO 1250, Hand Held. Processed in Canon DPP and PSE 2020 for exposure, color, and sharpness.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Terry, it sounds like it paid off planting to attract Monarchs. I really like the way he is starting up the slanted leaf. I think, if this was mind, I would crop some off the right, and a little bit maybe off the bottom. Those leaves on the right side are partly out of focus anyway, so not adding to the image. Just a thought. I’m not sure if it was raining at the time, but looks like maybe a couple of rain drops falling just about at eye level in front of him, in between leaves. I think I would clone those out as it isn’t helping the image. You captured some nice deep green foliage, and the caterpillar really stands out nicely in it. Nice shot. So glad you are getting the Monarchs and that they like your garden and laying their eggs there.

Thanks, Shirley. I can crop a bit out of this. Didn’t want to close in too tight on the caterpillar. Thanks for your observations.

1 Like

My swamp milkweed is a much better attractor of Monarchs than is my regular milkweed patch. The one drawback of the swamp milkweed is that the caterpillars eat the flowers, making them less photogenic. This view shows the cat. and it’s environment well. If you could have gotten a step or two to your right, the new angle would give more (or even all) of the caterpillar sharp. I also see two red spots that look like bad pixels. I’m surprised that PSE doesn’t automatically hide them. Lightroom does on my 7D2 (where I’ve got between 3 and 8 pixels that show one specific color, depending on the scene).

1 Like

I am definitely planting more swamp milkweed. They love this plant. I didn’t know they would eat the flowers. I think I could have stepped to the right, Mark - I just wasn’t cognitive of doing so. I don’t see the red spots you mention? I’ll enlarge it and look for them. Thanks for your comments.

Terry: At this stage they are voracious eaters and can strip a milkweed plant down to the stalks. Good capture of this guy. >=))>

1 Like

They are that! They’re leaving bare stems in their wake on that milkweed! Thanks, Bill.

Excellent image, Terry. I’m happy that people are planting specifically for the Monarchs. I agree with Mark’s comment on the depth of field and moving a touch.

1 Like

Thanks, Dennis. I have put off planting specifically for the Monarchs as I feel all of our butterflies and pollinators need our help. But the sight of all these caterpillars has changed my mind. I feel like a proud new daddy! :blush: