Mongoose

Image Description

I was waiting for a Hyena to appear but this mongoose obliged.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I would have preferred a cleaner ground, but this is how jungle tracks are.

Technical Details

Canon R 5; 500 mm lens; ISO 400; 1/800 sec. at f 4.5

1 Like

When hyenas don’t deliver, mongoose to the rescue! Oh I love the pose and the sneaking/stalking sort of vibe here. It might be a touch warm and so the colors are sort of blending together here. That might be something you’re going for, or not. They are fierce predators so far as I know. We don’t have anything like them in N.A. I don’t think. The light is lickable and that direct gaze unbreakable. You have mongoose reflexes for sure to get this. Really great.

1 Like

@JRajput Nice shot of a mongoose. @Kris_Smith RE: NA: They were introduced to Hawaii (I think initially on the big island north of Hilo) in the late 1800s, I believe, by cane sugar growers to hopefully get rid of rats that were eating the sugar cane. Not a chance! Rats eat at night; mongooses (sp) eat in daylight. Get along quite well. Consequently, major problems with them in Hawaii. They seem to be everywhere.

Oh that is a shame, Jim. Hawaii had been devastated by invaders for so long I don’t think it’s recoverable. So many species destroyed.