Montana White-tailed Doe in contemplation of sunset

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

Despite the subject occupying the center of the image, I like her stance and the supposedly calm expression on her face. The lighting was from the setting sun across Flathead Lake. The late season grasses and trees add to the depth of the feeling of peace for me.

Creative direction

Sadly, I am a spray and pray shooter in general. I try to keep seeing scenes as they evolve without really planning for any specific circumstances. These animals are a constant in the area and relatively accustomed to humans so they make good subjects. I did remove a barbed-wire fence in the background which wasn’t a terrible distraction but I like the image more without it.

Specific Feedback

This would be mostly an emotional image for me.

Technical Details

Canon R7, RF 100-400 @ 248mm, f/8 @ 1/1250, ISO 6400, EC +.067, handheld

Description

We try to camp on Flathead Lake every fall. Every evening we tend to walk around and see what might be happening with the local fauna. It’s a rich environment with animals who are very accustomed to humans. The deer are very calm and lots of opportunities occur.

What a peaceful scene, indeed with gorgeous lighting. Interesting that the eye appears bloodshot (I’ve never seen this species). The only very minor changes I’d make would be to remove the long sloping grass stem behind its muzzle as it’s a little distracting - and there still seem to be traces of fence-posts and the wire in the BG. I love the colors!

Yes, it was a very peaceful scene. The eyes are actually brown as shown in the attached image. Perhaps the warm light adding to the brown was a factor in the red color of the eye. There were a couple of fences back there. I may go back and work on them further to break up the lines. I see what you mean about the grass stem as well. Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate them.

This portrait is a beautiful addition!

Thank you. She was in beautiful condition and very curious about us.