Monument Cove

Sunrise at Monument Cove, Acadia National Park

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Tokina 17-35mm @ 18, 1/4 @ f/19, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Beautiful light and sky. The image does a great job of conveying depth, with the shore providing a good leading line. No suggestions here, works nicely for me.

Michael,

Love the warm, morning light and the resulting cool/warm combo of colors here. Great depth as Mr. H. mentions.

I’m a little torn on the presence of the trees on the left. On the one hand, they frame nicely and contribute to the sense of depth. On the other hand, I feel like they’re blocking what would be some more of the nice blues and waveline of the ocean. Hmmmm… I’m figuring though, that this vantage point limited your choices and so I think you did well in the end.

Lon

Thanks @Harley_Goldman and @Lon_Overacker. Lon, I was expecting a comment about the LH tree. To crop the tree leaves less ocean and sky and also is a little precarious to shoot. You have to stand right at the edge of the cliff with little space for your tripod.

The golden light spilling onto the shore is special, and I like the way the composition leads the eye. I can see the “more ocean” argument, but on the other hand I like the way the composition has a left border to mimic the right.

This is probably why it is safest to go out photographing alone; I can just imagine some photography buddies, standing well back from the edge, yelling “Go for it!” and “You gotta want it!”

Thanks @John_Williams. :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Mike,
The warm light here is magical and contrasts beautifully with the blues of the sky and ocean. One of these days I might work up the nerve to try and squeeze down in that little spot. Actually the tree on the left does not bother me as I think it balances out the one on the right side. Great view.

I’m actually surprised that the NPS hasn’t closed off access to this viewpoint, “precarious” is an understatement. I like the clouds in your original post, and you have done a good job of framing the scene with the spruce trees. But I prefer the stronger light and higher tide in the second image, which I assume is from an earlier year.

Michael, This is really a beautiful image and I’m just enjoying looking at this. The warm light is wonderful. Such an inviting scene.

Lovely photo Michael. I like the tree on the left. I think it helps frame the photo. I would lighten it a bit though.